Mixed use: Ground breaking Global Harbor in Changzhou officially opens
Published on 22/09/2016
One of the largest shopping centres to open anywhere in the world this year.
On 16 September 2016, Jiangnan Global Harbor officially opened. Designed by Chapman Taylor’s London and Shanghai studios, the 500,000m² five-level project is located in Changzhou, and will be a major destination within the prosperous Jiangsu Province, west of Shanghai.
It is an entertainment leisure focused centre, and its themed interiors and exteriors contain an extraordinary array of facilities, including:
- 80,000m² of outlet shopping
- 80,000m² of furniture retail
- 60,000m² of bars, restaurants and cafés
- 20,000m² Sam’s Club by Walmart
- An 80-metre diameter Ferris wheel on the roof of the shopping centre
- An ocean liner themed hotel tower
- A very large rooftop urban farm with restaurant pavilions
- A real train transporting customers around the enormous external plazas
- External terraces with restaurants and leisure rides
- An Art Deco entertainment atrium with giant LED screens, musical fountains and a continual programme of performances
- Cinemas, bowling, kids clubs, family entertainment, edutainment, soccer club, archery club, special sculptures, climbing walls.
In addition, more shops, a themed park based on the 'Ports of the World’ and high rise apartments are soon to be added, creating a major 900,000m² mixed-use development.
It is the sister development to the practices multi-award winning ‘Global Harbour’ Shanghai scheme which recently won the prestigious 'Best retail architecture in the world' award at the 2014/15 International Property Awards.
Chapman Taylor Director, Chris Lanksbury commented: ‘This is a unique and ground breaking scheme that leads the way for future retail and leisure developments. Global Harbor is an exemplar entertainment leisure focused shopping mall with a whole multitude of carefully combined elements. Apart from the outlet, furniture, discount and fashion shops it features a roof top urban farm, Ferris wheel, a ocean liner themed hotel tower, cinemas, bowling, kids clubs, family entertainment, edutainment, soccer club, archery club, and climbing walls. Its unique combination of shopping and entertainment will make this one of the most popular family day out destinations in the Jiangnan region of China. ‘
For more information please contact: